Dhara World Music is a multi-faceted group that features Vineet Vyas (Canada), Rajib Karmakar (India), James Waterman (U.S.), Joseph Salcedo (U.S.), Etienne Rivera (Puerto Rico) and Amir Oosman (U.S.). Each member has studied in the traditions of North/South Indian music, West African rhythms, Persian music, Latin percussion and more. Dhara seamlessly fuses these backgrounds and idioms to bring audiences a performance unlike any they have ever experienced.
- Joshua Tree Music Festival, CA, May 15, 2016
- Album Release Concert, Blue Whale, April 11, 2016
- Center for the Arts Eagle Rock, CA, February 19, 2016
- Day of Music Festival; Fullerton, CA; June 9, 2015
- The NAMM Show, Anaheim, CA; Jan 22, 2015
- Blue Whale Jazz Lounge, Los Angeles, CA; Oct 21, 2014
- MA Center LA, Redondo Beach, CA; Sep 28, 2014
- World Music and Dance Festival, Wild Beast Concert Pavilion, CalArts; May 3, 2014
- CalArts Jazz at Capitol Studios: 25-Year Anniversary Reunion Concert; April 19, 2014
Clinics and Workshops
- World Music and Percussion Clinic: Percussion Forum at CalArts; Sept. 23, 2014
Dhara released their self-titled album on April 11, 2016.
"[Dhara World Music] is an instrumental ensemble consisting of xylophone, tablas, sitar, bass guitar and drum set and they blend so many influences from East and West. Together, their sound is rich, complex and infectious; separately, when they take turns soloing is when each of them really shine on their own as virtuoso players."
-Tom Nguyen; EnClave.LA; 4/1/2016
"Amir Oosman stirred the drink with his loose-limbed bashing, and then stayed for vibraphonist James Watermanʼs “Pancha Tattva,” which was bolstered by Vineet Vyasʼ tablas. The quintet got a hand just for executing the long, fast head on this jazz gamelan..."
-Kirk Silsbee; DownBeat Magazine; 5/5/2014